Dreaming of Greece
I’ve never been to Greece. It is on my list, but I just have not made it there yet. I dream of days on some lovely Greek Island, surround by crystal blue water and bright blue skies. This little fantasy inspired me to make Greek style dishes. In my mind, Greek flavors are bright and lemony. I taste oregano and yogurt, mint, olives artichokes and lots of green leafy veggies like spinach. Artichoke Chicken with Lemon and Olives is that fantasy of Greece on a plate. I hope you will imagine the blue and white of Greece with me when you make this dish and like me, dream of a day when you too will be soaking up the sun on a Greek Island.
Serve with Lemon Caulirice with Spinach
In this Recipe:
Artichoke Chicken with Lemon and Olives
A quick and easy weeknight meal that packs in a ton of flavor with out much effort!
- 4 Chicken Thighs
- Kosher Salt, Diamond Crystal
- 2 Lemons
- Black Pepper, Tellicherry, coarse ground
- Black anf Green Olives, pitted. Any kind you like but not the canned black olives
- 1 jar Artichoke Hearts, in oil
- 1 tbsp Oregano, dried
- Olive Oil, extra virgin
- For your very best results, season your chicken thighs with salt the night before. This will ensure that the salt infuses throughout the chicken and also make your chicken much moister. Doing this step first will ultimatley lower the total amount of salt you will need to season your dish. (So if you remember do this first!) Don't use table salt here... it will taste gross. Use kosher salt, preferably Diamond Crystal.
- The next day remove your chicken from the fridge and pat it dry, allow it to come to room temp if you have time. This will help you get a crispier skin. (If you don't have time, it will still taste GREAT!)
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees
- Season your chicken with salt, pepper and oregano. Use your hands to make sure the seasoning is distributed all over the chicken.
- Heat your cast iron skillet on med-high. Once the skillet is hot. Add olive oil let it heat up about 30 seconds
- Add your chicken to the pan skin side down and cook until the skin is brown and crispy. (If it seems like things are happening too fast, lower the temp a bit)
- Once the skin is brown, flip over your chicken breasts and brown the other side.
- When the chicken is browned on both sides, add your quartered lemons, olives and artichoke hearts to the pan and slide your pan into your hot oven
- Cook for about 30 minutes, until chicken is cooked through and lemons are well roasted.
I will earn a small commision on some of the products on this page if you purchase through my link. I have only recommended products I know and love. I have not recieved anything from these companies for free.