I have never been much of a sweets person, with two big exceptions, ice cream and chocolate. I love these two food items with a deep abiding love that can not be denied. If I can get a double chocolate ice cream in a chocolate cone and a chocolate drizzle… well that sounds like perfection to me! While my sister loved fruity candies like skittles I always went for things like M&M’s. You might notice on my Valentine’s Day Gift Guide, chocolate got first billing. These chocolatiers have all inspired me with their gorgeous sweets and exotic flavors. It is no accident that I have chocolate loves in some of my favorite cities. Deep, dark gorgeous chocolate, I love you so.
When you go paleo, desserts are one of the first things to go. While I am ok with skipping the sweets most of the time, there are times when the occasion just screams for chocolate. Valentine’s Day may top the list of chocolate centered dates. So this year I thought I would come up with something that feels indulgent with none of the side effects that come with refined sugars, grains and food additives.
How does a gooey, sticky, sweet but not too sweet chocolate-y treat sound to you? That is exactly what you get with these bliss balls. Flavor-wise it is pretty irrelevant that these are fairly healthy with all the antioxidant punch of pure cocoa plus fiber and potassium from the dates. Who cares about that stuff when you are getting the indulgent satisfaction of deep rich chocolate-y goodness?
With treats like this I can have a super indulgent chocolaty treat with no refined sugar, no grain, and no dairy. It is tempting to think something that claims all these things would not be delicious, but these are chewy, sweet and satisfying. While they don’t have much in the way of added sugar, they do have a touch of honey and not an insignificant amount of sugar coming from the dates and cherries, so enjoy in moderation, but don’t hesitate to enjoy!
In This Recipe
I will earn a small commision on some of the products on this page if you purchase through my link. I have only recommended products I know and love. I have not recieved anything from these companies for free.
- 1/4 cup Black Cacao
- 1/2 cup Raw Hazelnuts
- 2 pinches Fine Sea Salt
- 8 Dates
- 1/3 cup Dried cherries
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp Wildflower Honey
- 4 Hazelnuts finely sliced
- Place your dates in a bowl and pour hot water over the dates. Let them soak for about five minutes
- Place 3 tsps of your cherries into a seperate bowl and pour warm water over them and soak for five minutes
- Add Hazelnuts, Cacao and salt to your food processor and blitz until hazelnuts are finely ground
- Open your food processor and add vanilla, honey, soaked dated and cherries and process until mixture is fully combined and smooth.
- Pinch off a bit of the mixture and press between your fingers. It should hold together and be sticky. If not add another soaked date.
- Divide mixture into eight even pieces and roll them between your palms to make a ball.
- Finely chop the remaining cherries
- Roll four of your bliss balls in the shaved hazelnuts and the other four in the chopped cherries
- Serve and enjoy!