As a kid my Dad made the BEST breakfasts. These breakfasts were glorious. A hybrid of an English Fry Up and a Latin American desayuno typico they had everything you could possibly want. Eggs, bacon, sausage, beans, fried mushrooms, tortilla or toast. Sometimes there were even pancakes. Always, always there was his salsa rachera to drizzle all over the eggs and into that perfect bocadito you were building on your fork with little bits of your favorite things.
I hope his salsa will encourage you to have a family breakfast feast of your own!
Dad's Famous Salsa Ranchera
Although its evolved over time, my Dad's Salsa Ranchera never fails to make breakfast delicious
- 1 habenero
- 1 jalepeno
- 2 serrano
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, diced (about 1/2 an onion)
- 3/4 tsp Cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- fresh vine ripe tomato
- 1 1/2 tsp salt, Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt
- 4 grinds black pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- Gently boil peppers in water until soft
- remove peppers from water, deseeed and devein peppers
- blend peppers with immersion blender (or standard blender)... step back though those pepper fumes will getcha!
- Set aside
- Heat your skillet on med heat and then add olive oil
- sweat your diced onion until soft and light golden brown
- Add cumin and coriander and stir into onions and heat until fragrant (about 30 seconds, but use your nose, you will smell when its time!)
- add tomoato, salt, pepper and hot pepper sauce and water. Taste after 10 minutes and adjust for salt. Cook for 30-40 minutes or longer. You want the tomato to cook down and be very soft. Taste it to be sure the tomato has mellowed and all the flavors are well rounded
- Serve over fried eggs, on breakfast tacos or basically anything!